uniPulse – universal drum machine midi interface
Now in version MK3, see comparison
- Highly customizable, compatible to almost any drum machine
- 16 pulse outputs
- Full velocity sensitivity
- 5 different pulse shapes
- Outputs positive and/or negative pulses up to 15V/-15V
- Voltage and length can be mapped to velocity, controller or CV-input
- 7 Digital outputs for gates and clocks
- Up to 24 simultaneous clock outputs with different midi dividers
- Analog output with various functions
- Potentiometer / CV input to control length or voltage of pulses
- Internal clock multiplier for DIN sync
- Easy to use configuration app with preset database for common drum machines
- Very small, fits in most drum machines
- Various midi socket configurations
- Runs off a single supply voltage between +7 and +25V, generates negative voltage internally
Some features in more detail
The pulse shapes have different sonic characteristics, experimenting which suits best is recommended. The Gaussian pulse for example contains less higher harmonics and can be used to simulate drums hit by a felt headed mallet.
Clock and sync gates
By using the 16 pulse outputs, the uniPulse can output up to 21 different clocks simultaneously.
For each channel, you can select pulse shapes, polarity, length, midi channels, note numbers and mappings. For sync outputs clock dividers can be chosen.
A velocity sensitive test button an be used to instantly listen and refine your configuration, and thus choose what sounds best for your particular drum machine and taste.The program can be found here: uniPulse Configurator
The general uniPulse manual (PDF) describes the unipulse functionality and specifications and gives some generall recommendations of how to interface various types of drum machines.
The old MK1 user manual can be found here.
Additionally installation manuals exist for specific drum machines. A list of these manuals can be found here:
uniPulse drum machines overview
You can help expanding this database and help other users with the same machine. This will be rewarded by Tubbutec with a discount on your next order. Thanks a lot for contributing!
See: uniPulse contribution.
The kit contains the uniPulse board, ribbon cable with connector, stencil for hole drilling, all necessary screws and external midi socket with connector (if specified).
Please note: The uniPulse installation requires some electronic knowledge, especially if there is no specific installation manual for your drum machine yet. Please only order if you are sure you can install it. Read the general manual to get an idea about the uniPulse and what it requires to install.
- Q: Will my drum machine sound exactly the same when triggered with the uniPulse?
- A: Most likely yes. The different pulse shapes, especially the ‘Open Rect’ shape will get you as close to the original sounds as possible
- Q:I have multiple machines, but only want to buy one uniPulse. What can I do?
- A:You can put the uniPulse in an external box, install external trigger inputs in your drum machines and connect them.
- Q:Firmware update?
- A:Yes. The firmware can be updated using midi sysex
- Q:How and where is the UniPulse retrofit produced?
- A:The uniPulse is designed an manufactured in Germany. Only lead free components and solder are used.
- Q: Is my drum machine supported?
- A: Very likely yes. Below is a very incomplete list of supported machines.
This is an incomplete list of drum machines which can be controlled with uniPulse. If your machine is not on the list, please contact us.
If there is an installation manual available for the particular machine, click the name to get to the uniPulse installation manual. No link means installation is possible, but we don’t have a manual yet.
Ace Tone Rhythm Ace R-3
Ace Tone Rhythm Ace FR-1 (Goya melodic rhythmer)
Ace Tone Rhythm Ace FR-2
Ace Tone Rhythm Ace FR-3
Ace Tone Rhythm Ace FR-4
Ace Tone Rhythm Ace FR-6
Multivox Rhythm Ace FR6M
Ace Tone Rhythm Ace FR-7
Ace Tone Rhythm Ace FR-8
Ace Tone Rhythm Ace FR-13
Ace Tone Rhythm Ace FR-106
Other Rhythm Ace machines
Roland TR-808 (Special TR-808 version available)
Roland TR-606 (Special TR-606 version available)
All e-drums can be directly interfaced via their trigger inputs.
Hohner Automatic Rhythm Player