ModyPoly HiRes – high resolution upgrade for ModyPoly
HiRes is an upgrade for the ModyPoly which adds high pitch resolution, microtuning and portamento. It works for Polysix and Mono/Poly (and is somewhat usable on the Poly-61).
- Adds portamento to any ModyPoly equipped Polysix. An optional panel and portamento time knob is also available
- Enables mirotuning and custom scales on Polysix and Mono/Poly.
- Voice spread / detuning parameter available via midi
- High precision pitch bend for Polysix and Mono/Poly
Base board: the basic HiRes board which plugs into the ModyPoly + connector to the DAC. Gives you all functionality, but portamento time can only be set via midi or the config menu. This is probably your choice for a Mono/Poly or if you do not want to drill a hole in your Polysix.
Using the MODE switch on the Polysix you can select between:
– UP: auto portamento (will glide when playing legato)
– DOWN: Portamento is turned on
– UP/DOWN: Portamento is OFF.
Setting the portamento time to 0 is identical to turning it off.
You would probably only use this on the Polysix (Mono/Poly already has portamento). But of course it also works on the Mono/Poly and gives you midi control over portamento time. Portamento has linear constant time behaviour meaning it takes the same time to glide one semitone or one octave
The HiRes upgrade features full microtonal support for Polysix and Mono/Poly. HiRes uses a high quality 16 bit DAC which results in a effective resolution of 0.2 cent. Up to 4 tunings can be saved in the ModyPoly and recalled using the config menu. Real time sysex tuning messages are also supported and allow instant retuning of any note.
Voice spread detunes the individual voices in a controlled manner and allows a wide variety of effects. Slightly out of tune sound, or morphing between chords is possible. It is very similar to the ‘detuning amount’ parameter of the Polysex mod.
Due to the Poly-61 being DCO based, microtuning and portamento is unfortunately not possible with HiRes. However you can get some related functionality:
– Portamento is replaced with glissando. This is actually quite close to portamento as long as you use short times. You can install the portamento time knob just like in the Polysix.
– Microtonal tunings and scales are replaced by non-microtonal scales. This works as long as you use semitones to create a scale (think pentatonic scales for example).
You don’t need the HiRes hardware unless you want to install the ‘portamento time’ knob though. The features described above are included in ModPoly firmware version 2.x
All features of the HiRes upgrade are described in the ModyPoly user manual.
You will need to install ModyPoly firmware version 2.x
The installation manual is available as pdf.
There is also a video showing all the steps involved.