SH-1oh1 mod – Midi retrofit and feature extension for Roland SH-101
- Midi in- and output. Can output key presses, arpeggiator and sequencer.
- Additional Accent Envelope: Programmable accent for volume and filter with adjustable decay.
- Additional filter LFO A triangular LFO with the high range of 0.2Hz — 8kHz can modulate the filter
- Additional ADSR for filter: Completely independent envelope with adjustable parameters, polarity and looping.
- Improved Sequencer:now has 32 sequences with 120 Steps each
- Song mode: Sequences can be chained to create a “Song” and programmed live
- More sequencer and arp modes: Forward, backward, random, ping-pong,..
- A lot of midi controllable parameters, velocity can be mapped to 9 different targets including accents, filter and 2nd ADSR:
- Midi filter, pitch bend, arp and s/h-lfo control, optional midi soft through
- Clock dividers for internal arp clock and trigger including din-sync compatible divider
- Settings via an internal configuration menu or external midi controller.
- Extra features accessible using the existing SH-101 controls
- Comes with sticker overlays and all necessary parts
- Easy to install in any SH-101 and compatible with analogue mods
- There is a special microtonal edition: SH-1oh1 µTune
- For a complete list of features please refer to the user manual.
Some features in more detail
The SH-1oh1 accent consists of an envelope with a fixed fast attack and a decay adjustable between 1ms and 5s. It can be routed to VCA, filter or both while the amount can be adjusted individually. The accent can be programmed in the sequencer or triggered via midi velocity in various ways.
The individual sequences can be switched via the keyboard in multiple ways: Instantaneously or when the running sequence has finished. In both cases sync is maintained.
They can also be chained into a complete song making it possible to produce pattern based. A new song can even be programmed while the old one is playing – perfect for jam and live sessions.And of course you don’t need a battery to keep your sequences..
Clock sources and dividers
The internal LFO or external trigger input, midi clock or midi notes.
Additional clock dividers are built in for these clock sources.
This means you can for example have the ‘Random’ lfo synced to the internal lfo, while the arp is clocked at half its speed, the sequencer is synced to midi 16th and the ‘Random LFO triggered by an external trigger signal,……
The sequence contains accent and glide, accent amounts and decay time are adjusted.
The additional filter ADSR is briefly demonstrated as well as high frequency filter modulation by the additional lfo.
Bassline: Programmed in sequencer with filter and volume accents, clocked via midi
Bassdrum / Toms: Filter in self-resonance, 2nd filter envelope with shirt decay for more “pinch”. Volume accent to get louder bassdrum, filter accent to create toms.
Snare: Noise. Accent to get a longer snare, without accent shorter snare.
Hihats: Noise + Filter in resonance + high freuqency filter LFO. Volume accent with longer decay is used to create open hihat. LFO frequency is changed over time.
Lead 1: Played via midi, 2nd filter envelope with long attack. Later an extra high frequency LFO is added and frequency changed
Lead 2: Played by hand with glide
Arpeggio: synced over midi, played by hand
A complete user manual for the Tubbutec SH-1oh1 mod can be found as pdf here:
The SH-1oh1 is easy to install. As the mod replaces the original SH-101 CPU, you need to desolder it and replace it with a socket. This is fortunately not hard as the CPU is only soldered single sided.
The rest is simple: Plug the mod into the socket, solder four cables, drill the holes for the midi sockets and you are done.
A detailed installation manual can be found here:
SH-1oh1 can be ordered online in our shop. We ship from Germany with fixed shipping costs worldwide (5.60€). If you want us to install the mod for you please contact us.
If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact us.
- Q: Is the SH-1oh1 compatible with analogue mods such as the NovaMod?
- A: Yes
- Q: Does the mod alter the sound of my SH-101 in any way?
- A: No, if you don’t use any of the additional features, your SH-101 will sound exactly the same.
- Q: Is feature XY from the original SH-101 still there?
- A: Most likely yes. Great care has been taken to maintain the behaviour of the original synth and add features on top.
- Q: Are CV/gate inputs and outputs still working?
- A: Yes
- Q:Can I install the mod without the midi connectors?
- A:Yes, they are detachable and you can choose not to use them
- Q:Firmware update?
- A:Yes. The firmware can be updated using the firmware updater
- Q:How and where is the SH-1oh1 mod produced?
- A:The SH-1oh1 is designed an manufactured in Germany. Only lead free components and solder are used.
- Q:Will there be a similar mod for the MC-202 ?
- A:No. Unfortunately the 202’s processor comes in a SMD package that would make a CPU replacement hard to install. For this reason there are currently no plans for a MC-202 CPU upgrade.