Wait, WHAT?? Juno 66 mod for old Junos

frontpage Forums Product questions and support Juno-66 Wait, WHAT?? Juno 66 mod for old Junos

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Jaw on the floor time, lads and lasses.

[video]
    [/video]

Anonymous

And only €167?

Did not expect this, ever.

Anonymous

*eyeballs the shit out of the Juno 60 sitting next to his computer*

Anonymous

negativspace wrote:
    *eyeballs the shit out of the Juno 60 sitting next to his computer*
    I know, right??

Anonymous

dang, i just installed a CHD Juno 60 midikit, which is not as good as this.. 🙁

Anonymous

sd88me wrote:
    dang, i just installed a CHD Juno 60 midikit, which is not as good as this.. 🙁

I have the chd kit on my juno 6. It was a good option at the time. It’s really easy to take out so I think I’ll probably upgrade. Just having midi out is huge.

Anonymous

I was thinking about it, might bring my juno 6 back to the center of my setup, and with a sequencer onboard…

A little hesitant though, I’ve found with doing repairs on it in the past that I am likely to destroy the IC when I remove it, and that being the CPU… Scary.

Anonymous

Yeah really excited about this although i dont know if i’m going to be able to accomplish that.

Removing the cpu gonna be hard right?

Anonymous

Looks good! Sigh…The GAS for a Juno 60 grows stronger with this…sigh…

Anonymous

drip.feed wrote:
    Jaw on the floor time, lads and lasses.
    Damn straight. You had me at ‘Chord Mode’.
    I ‘deliberated it’ for about two minutes and then ordered it for my Juno 60. Totally stonking work.

For anyone who isn’t up for this but wants MIDI on their Juno…fancy buying my Kenton MIDI <> DCB?!

Anonymous

this looks awesome, anyone installed one yet? was it easy or not? I have a Juno 6 which I love but this looks to take it to a new level.

Anonymous
    Anonymous

pulse_divider thanks for sharing your experience installing this killer update!

Anonymous

Figures wrote:
    this looks awesome, anyone installed one yet? was it easy or not? I have a Juno 6 which I love but this looks to take it to a new level.
    OK I’ve started with mine. Just some initial feedback to echo other person above – TL:DR = cut the CPU’s legs. Don’t bother trying to preserve it, you’ll only waste time and potentially damage the traces on your PCB trying to wiggle it off.

With a Juno 60 open, you can unscrew the two cable ties and 6 (or so) screws on the main voice board, and then turn it upside down to get access to the underside of the board without unclipping/unwiring anything at all.

Desoldering is quite easy using braid. I was trying to desolder and keep the CPU intact, which I wouldn’t recommend doing. I was just mashing the braid against the solder blob, apply a bit of heat to the leg and braid, and in a second you see the solder flow and wick into the braid. So far so good.

I did this for all 40 pins, but the problem was that in the end the CPU was still stuck in due to residual solder attachment. You are tempted to force the CPU to snap out, but since the potential was to damage the traces on the PCB, I ended up using snips and just cutting the legs off the CPU anyway. I should have just done that first.

Anonymous

I did mine this weekend. I really wanted to try to preserve everything so I could revert it back to its original state if I ever wanted or needed to. So I desoldered the CPU chip. It wasn’t for the faint of heart. It took quite a while and what finally worked was using a desoldering pump and an IC removal tool, but even that took quite a while.

Everything else went pretty smoothly except I’m getting some odd behavior with the LEDs on the front panel when I press the Key Transpose button. Sometimes it’s LED doesn’t light up, sometimes it automatically lights up the Hold button’s LED as well. Also makes the other LEDs on the panel, such as the waveforms, flicker. Thinking maybe it’s a sketchy connection with the components I added there but wondering if anyone else sees this.

Also now when I first power the Juno up it makes a sound right away, as if the gate is being triggered by powering it on. It’s always the same note being played too. Curious if anyone else runs into this as well.

Otherwise it’s working great. Love it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.