utune – level of intuitive playing

frontpage Forums Product questions and support µTune utune – level of intuitive playing

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #9008
    Anonymous

    I’m about to replace my Intellijel uscale with utune as I’m looking for experiment with microtonal scales and tuning.

    The thing I found very nice in the uscale is the easy way to add or subtract note within a push of a button. I wandering if I can do the same with utune ?

    another question – is it possible to use regular 12 tet scales ?

    Can I use the utune to integrate between max msp to my modular? – sending cv for example ?

    thanks!

    #9009
    tubbutec
    Keymaster

    Hi
    The µTune can not add or subtract notes via button push, mostly because it does not have dedicated buttons for this. You can however use a CV-in to transpose.

    You can of course use 12TET, it is even the default scale after startup

    I don’t know very much about max msp and how it interfaces with the world. If MAX msp can send midi, then µTune can receive and output this. Currently you could use note and/or pitch bend commands for this, midi controller messages will be supported in the upcoming update as well.

    #9010
    Anonymous

    tubbutec wrote:
    Hi
    The µTune can not add or subtract notes via button push, mostly because it does not have dedicated buttons for this. You can however use a CV-in to transpose.

    You can of course use 12TET, it is even the default scale after startup

    I don’t know very much about max msp and how it interfaces with the world. If MAX msp can send midi, then µTune can receive and output this. Currently you could use note and/or pitch bend commands for this, midi controller messages will be supported in the upcoming update as well.
    I understand it cannot add or sutract notes via push button, but is it possible to add or subtract note via the screen ?

    let say I have an indian scale with 7 note. can I- while it sending cv to 1v/oct of an osc, to subtract note or add note or it is not possible at all ?

    Can I send cv of different scale from the two outputs ?
    can I change between scales that are in the utune with cv ?

    Thanks

    #9011
    tubbutec
    Keymaster

    I understand it cannot add or sutract notes via push button, but is it possible to add or subtract note via the screen ?
    let say I have an indian scale with 7 note. can I- while it sending cv to 1v/oct of an osc, to subtract note or add note or it is not possible at all ?
    By ‘adding’ a note, do mean changing the pitch / transpose (one note up, one note down)? Or do you mean add a note to the scale?

    Transpose can currently only be done via CV-in, but a menu option will be added soon. See: viewtopic.php?t=207946

    If you mean: Add a note to the scale, this can be done in the scale editor.

    Can I send cv of different scale from the two outputs ?
    can I change between scales that are in the utune with cv ?
    This is a commonly requested feature, but currently not possible

    #9012
    Anonymous

    tubbutec wrote:
    I understand it cannot add or sutract notes via push button, but is it possible to add or subtract note via the screen ?
    let say I have an indian scale with 7 note. can I- while it sending cv to 1v/oct of an osc, to subtract note or add note or it is not possible at all ?
    By ‘adding’ a note, do mean changing the pitch / transpose (one note up, one note down)? Or do you mean add a note to the scale?

    Transpose can currently only be done via CV-in, but a menu option will be added soon. See: viewtopic.php?t=207946

    If you mean: Add a note to the scale, this can be done in the scale editor.

    Can I send cv of different scale from the two outputs ?
    can I change between scales that are in the utune with cv ?
    This is a commonly requested feature, but currently not possible
    Sorry for my insistent but I want to be sure I understand my option so I will ask :

    Let say I have a raga of 7 note that goes from c 2 to c 3 with other note in between such as minor 2 p4 p5 etc.. . can I subtract from 1 ch all the note apart of the root, the p5 and the oct, and in the second ch to have all the 7 note perhaps apart of 1 note. ?

    is it also possible to send different cv to the two ch ? let say one ch get a cv of en envelope time of 3 sec and the other get slow sin lfo ?

    Thanks

    #9013
    Anonymous

    You can definitely remove notes from a scale by using the scale editor. It is a slower process than using something like the intelligel, but the power of the editor is worth it.

    Here is the “incomplete” manual – https://tubbutec.de/files/uTune-user_manual-v.1.00.pdf
    Section 4.3 discusses using the scale editor, which allows you to take the existing scale, and modify the distances between notes, but also lets you disable the the specific intervals you want to “turn off” (like, limiting a 12-Tet scale to just a pentatonic, or something like that)

    You can definitely both use both channels of the module with two different inputs (meaning, you could use two different CV inputs, or even 1 midi, and 1 CV input, or anything similar), however, in the current version you are limited to one scale for both channels (as far as I understand it). I read a rumor somewhere that we will have separate scales for different channels in the future though…

    #9014
    Anonymous

    antonriehl wrote:
    You can definitely remove notes from a scale by using the scale editor. It is a slower process than using something like the intelligel, but the power of the editor is worth it.

    Here is the “incomplete” manual – https://tubbutec.de/files/uTune-user_manual-v.1.00.pdf
    Section 4.3 discusses using the scale editor, which allows you to take the existing scale, and modify the distances between notes, but also lets you disable the the specific intervals you want to “turn off” (like, limiting a 12-Tet scale to just a pentatonic, or something like that)

    You can definitely both use both channels of the module with two different inputs (meaning, you could use two different CV inputs, or even 1 midi, and 1 CV input, or anything similar), however, in the current version you are limited to one scale for both channels (as far as I understand it). I read a rumor somewhere that we will have separate scales for different channels in the future though…
    Thanks for your Helpful answer!

    #9015
    Anonymous

    As things stand right now, you would need to load a scale that includes all notes, inclusive for both channels. Assuming you have control of the pitch data going into each channel, you would simply ‘not play’ the notes you did not want to include for a given channel. If you are using some kind of random to generate pitch data, then what you want is currently not possible, but does seem to be on the radar for future updates.

    ketem13 wrote:
    Sorry for my insistent but I want to be sure I understand my option so I will ask :

    Let say I have a raga of 7 note that goes from c 2 to c 3 with other note in between such as minor 2 p4 p5 etc.. . can I subtract from 1 ch all the note apart of the root, the p5 and the oct, and in the second ch to have all the 7 note perhaps apart of 1 note. ?

    is it also possible to send different cv to the two ch ? let say one ch get a cv of en envelope time of 3 sec and the other get slow sin lfo ?

    Thanks

    #9016
    Anonymous

    tonymasiello wrote:
    As things stand right now, you would need to load a scale that includes all notes, inclusive for both channels. Assuming you have control of the pitch data going into each channel, you would simply ‘not play’ the notes you did not want to include for a given channel. If you are using some kind of random to generate pitch data, then what you want is currently not possible, but does seem to be on the radar for future updates.

    ketem13 wrote:
    Sorry for my insistent but I want to be sure I understand my option so I will ask :

    Let say I have a raga of 7 note that goes from c 2 to c 3 with other note in between such as minor 2 p4 p5 etc.. . can I subtract from 1 ch all the note apart of the root, the p5 and the oct, and in the second ch to have all the 7 note perhaps apart of 1 note. ?

    is it also possible to send different cv to the two ch ? let say one ch get a cv of en envelope time of 3 sec and the other get slow sin lfo ?

    Thanks
    Oh thats a bummer..
    Hopefully it will be change in the near future..

    #9017
    Anonymous

    I just got my utune
    Iv’e got a question regarding the gate output.

    I play note via the midi in and the cv out goes to an 1v/oct of an osc.
    I want that every time I play a note I will send a gate out to trigger an envelope.
    How can I do so ?

    Thanks

    #9018
    Anonymous

    of course it should output a gate when you play a MIDI note. Maybe try another cable?

    #9019
    Anonymous

    Phil999 wrote:
    of course it should output a gate when you play a MIDI note. Maybe try another cable?
    It also should output a gate when a note is plat from the cv in input ?

    Anyway – it doesn’t happen in both cases.

    I’m using version – 1.02, hw – 18 .

    Thanks

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.