Installing Polysex mod, help?

frontpage Forums Product questions and support polysex Installing Polysex mod, help?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #9636
    Anonymous

    So I’ve soldered everything (from what I can tell) needed to get the Polysex mod going. But right now my Polysix is only making strange noises, and not on all keys, with most controls on the keyboard (from Polysex mod or otherwise) not doing much (and it worked fine before starting the mod). I’m guessing more than one thing is wrong, but not sure what. I’m a very beginner solderer, but I did check for continuity, and most of my links seem good.

    Here are my questions:
    1) I ‘think’ I have the new board model, but if not, that would explain the problem. There is a small board connected to my 366, but it doesn’t say 396 anywhere on it, and from what I can tell the connections look different from that shown in the picture of 396 in the Tubbutec construction manual. I don’t think I messed this up, but if I did it would explain a lot.

    2) I had a lot of difficulty soldering to the IC 30 chip, and had to redo it several times because the solder smeared along all many of the top connections (I need a smaller soldering iron) and I worry if I may have fried the chip (or another component along the way). How would I know?

    3) any ideas on how to track down what I’m doing wrong? I’m thinking to start to double check I didn’t wire any of my connections wrong, but this sort of large scale problem seems more than just one wire in the wrong place, no? I’ll try to post pictures in a followup post.

    #9637
    Anonymous

    here’s some pics. please excuse my terrible soldering!

    #9638
    Anonymous

    whole board

    #9639
    Anonymous

    as messy as the solder joints look, they don’t touch, I made sure with the cutter blade.

    #9640
    Anonymous

    I fixed the missing connections at the bottom of the pitch section after this pic was taken, and the audio after that was what I checked and it didn’t work.

    #9641
    Anonymous

    doggie hair got on the lens in this pic, please ignore.

    #9642
    Anonymous

    another angle

    #9643
    Anonymous

    tried doing this without a dremel tool cause it was like 100 to buy one at the hardware store and I was running low on cash. Lesson learned, do NOT try doing this without a dremel tool or it will get messy!

    #9644
    Anonymous

    another angle, probably clearest.

    #9645
    Anonymous

    showing how it’s wired to the rest of the board.

    #9646
    Anonymous

    doggie toy visible in the background.

    #9647
    Anonymous

    cosmetically it came out nicely, only some scratches cause I didn’t use a dremel and slipped a few times with the metal shears.

    #9648
    Anonymous

    from top.

    #9649
    tubbutec
    Keymaster

    Hi I took a look at your pictures. Very hard to tell if there is a wrong connection or not. But even harder to tell – if not impossible – if there are not any shorts between the pins. The soldering looks a bit suboptimal as far as I can tell.
    Take a multimeter and check all the connections for continuity and make sure adjacent pins are not connected. If necessary use a solder pump to remove all the solder and start again. There seems to be quite a bit too much solder on the pins.

    From what you describe there might be a fundamental problem. Check all the voltages (-5, +5, -15 and +15). Are the LEDs and buttons on the front panel working?

    puggle wrote:
    I’m a very beginner solderer, but I did check for continuity, and most of my links seem good.

    Please make sure all of the connections are good..

    puggle wrote:
    Here are my questions:
    1) I ‘think’ I have the new board model, but if not, that would explain the problem. There is a small board connected to my 366, but it doesn’t say 396 anywhere on it, and from what I can tell the connections look different from that shown in the picture of 396 in the Tubbutec construction manual. I don’t think I messed this up, but if I did it would explain a lot.

    It seems to be the new board model. The additional board is probably a midi retrofit, maybe the CHD?

    puggle wrote:
    2) I had a lot of difficulty soldering to the IC 30 chip, and had to redo it several times because the solder smeared along all many of the top connections (I need a smaller soldering iron) and I worry if I may have fried the chip (or another component along the way). How would I know?
    Hard to tell from pictures alone. You’d probably need an oscilloscope to see if the chip is still working correctly.

    #9650
    Anonymous

    Hi Tobi-

    Thanks so much for the feedback! I only realized at the end of the job that the reason I was having so much trouble was that I was using a large size soldering iron, which made it so difficult to be accurate. It is also my first time doing anything more than a single solder joint.

    Now the extra board makes sense! Yes, midi was installed, it’s the P6-KBD midi mod.

    If I remember the LEDs on the front panel all light up and seem responsive. I only changed preset buttons and this didn’t dramatically alter the sound issues, so I didn’t try more buttons or knobs.

    As soon as I get a minute (my job just got busy again) I will check soon all my connections are wired correctly, double check continuity, and rule out continuity between pins due to spilled solder.

    Worst case scenario, I will have to get a professional to fix it up and just hope it doesn’t cost too much. Will post more soon.

    Thanks!

    -Chris

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.