The extra explanation is helpful. I was initially confused due to having used another software which includes the 1/1 in the ratio strings. LMSO is one such program I use quite a bit. It’s no longer available it seems but it is pretty good at playing all the various tuning file formats and exceptional at creating non-octave scale tunings.
Speaking of which…
I have been using LMSO for quite a few years and in conjunction with my DAW (Cubase) and the MOTM 650 MIDI to CV/GATE module to do polyphonic alternate tuning work. I was excited about µTune as a way to add something to the setup. I have been trying to duplicate some octave scales so that both are playing the same thing as a simple experiment and exercise in understanding the tools better. I notice I have to offset one or the other a bit with a semitone voltage in order to get everything to work out. µTune has the perfect ability to do this with the keyboard mapping so thanks for that. I also have to use a standards module to finish off the offset.
I am using a Synthesizers.com Q123 module which has octave and semitone selection as well as inverted mode. I did check often to make certain the vco’s were all tuned initially to the same pitch/voltage before applying any exponential control voltages from the midi to cv modules and that an appropriate warm up settling time had occurred.
With the example scale from this thread (correctly applied this time), I have the keyboard mapping set for G6 and 6 volts for the middle note. My scale anchor middle note from the other software is A3. I also am applying a -0.25 volt at the standards module. I worked at this for a few hours yesterday to try almost every combination I could think of to bring the tracking in line between the two patch paths. I think there are other combinations but I wasn’t successful in figuring out one which had the same “middle note” setting for both. I also could never avoid the offset voltage from the standards module.
Despite the extra troubleshooting puzzle the project was successful enough to render two entirely different setups working in tandem to produce a pair of identical scales played from one keyboard source in real time. Yay! The result was a magical way to play the modular whereby the selection of notes from the keyboard through MIDI were interpreted slightly different giving a robust choice of vco’s to each note. Each key press was selecting a different pair of vco timbre’s due to the way the modules and MIDI train were set up. I am really excited about what is in store for the future with the expansion module.
I did notice the keyboard mapping voltage values are set for 1/12th volt per division. Exactly what is useful for 12tET. This is a very good thing in general for use with a standard keyboard and yet I am still a little confused as to why I couldn’t just set the voltage at the module in this mapping parameter and not have to use the standards module as a final offset. Some of the notes in the simple 5 note scale were still quite a bit off but most were correct. I was thinking it was more due to the scale I programmed. The intervals are equidistant except for a couple so if I had everything right except the “middle note” or root then the scale might partially line up.
A bit confusing to say the least, and it’s entirely possible I still have something a bit whacked out. It’s fun regardless.
Sorry for the long post but it is tough to explain the experimental project in a few words clearly. Thanks again for the great multitool and all your efforts so far. I look forward to seeing the expansion module soon.