Reply To: Quantizer that can divide an octave in 1200 equal steps?

frontpage Forums Product questions and support µTune Quantizer that can divide an octave in 1200 equal steps? Reply To: Quantizer that can divide an octave in 1200 equal steps?

Anonymous

tom.bzode wrote:
1200-TET? I don’t think the human ear could even discern the difference between that and just continuous portamento.

I’m interested in what your reason for wanting to do this might be..? I know you said don’t ask but it just seems so pointless that I’m naturally curious.

If you really want to hear what that idea might sound like, rig up a prototype in Max/MSP or PD. I’d guess that the stepping might be just about audible but you’d have to listen very, very carefully to hear it.
From “Sound:An Interactive eBook on the Physics of Sound” –

Two other differences in human hearing as compared to laboratory measurements are Just Noticeable Difference in frequency (JND Hz) and the Just Noticeable Difference in loudness (JND dB). If a group of people are asked to decide if two frequencies are the same or slightly different most people can tell if the frequency is different by 1 Hz for low frequency sounds. So the JND (Hz) for a 500 Hz sound is about 1 Hz; most of us can tell the difference between 500 Hz and 501 Hz. At frequencies above 2000 Hz however, most people start having more difficulty telling two frequencies apart. For example at 4000 Hz the JND (Hz) is about 8 Hz meaning that the two frequencies must be about 8 Hz apart before the notes sound different; we can’t distinguish a 4000 Hz pitch from a 4001 Hz or even a 4007 Hz pitch. Probably for this reason no musical instrument produces fundamental frequencies above 5000 Hz; we wouldn’t be able to tell if the instrument was in tune.

So this means that the accuracy the original poster was looking for, would be basically wasted at anything above 2K or so of VCO control.