Reply To: µTune questions

frontpage Forums Product questions and support µTune µTune questions Reply To: µTune questions

tubbutec
Keymaster

Hi,
first please understand that the manual is a work in progress and if some things are not completely clear yet, that will change.

bravedog wrote:
what you mean by Shift and wonder if you might perhaps clarify with an example. Transposing an entire non-tempered scale up does change the root and always changes the pitches available, but this is what you seem to mean by Transpose. For instance, for the 3 note scale of Root=any 0, N1= 0+410 cents, N3= 0+815 cents, if I transpose [in my usage of the term] up 50 cents, my new scale values are Root- 0+50 cents, N1=0+460 cents, N2= 0+865 cents. What happens specifically with Shift? [Unless THAT is what you call Shift, in case please specify what you mean by Transpose]
Almost. in µTune transpose is applied at the input side of the scale mapper. Not cents are transposed, but rather note numbers. So in your example transposing up one note would result in.
1200 (one octave, the repeating interval)

Shift is changing the root without changing the pitch.
So let’s take your example, and I am assuming the repeating interval is once octave = 1200 cent

In your example shifting down by one note would result in
0 = 410 – 410
405 = 815 – 410
790 = 1200 – 410

You can see how TET scales are not affected by this as here the difference between all notes is equal.
Again, this feature was requested by several people. I don’t personally know how useful it is.

bravedog wrote:
What you meant by ‘See Notation’.?
Also not answered question 3 above] you don’t explain Ch2?
You are correct, the chapter about notations is missing from the manual still. Will add that asap. Basically you can chose between a number of different notations of notes. Edit: now added, see chapter Notations

bravedog wrote:
Channels
I just looked at the manual again. ‘channels’ always refers to the µtune channels, only if midi channel is meant the term ‘midi channel’ is used. Could not find any exception.