Reply To: µTune questions

frontpage Forums Product questions and support µTune µTune questions Reply To: µTune questions

tubbutec
Keymaster

Hi! I posted this in the Modular Synth General Discussion long thread 3 weeks ago, but perhaps need to post specifically in tubbutec forum so am reposting here:
Must have missed your question in the other thread, but this is certainly the correct place to ask.

Just got mine and there’s really a ton of stuff I don’t get yet including in the manual. I think I’m finding this module the least comprehensible of the 30 or so I’ve worked with, but very much like its capabilities and hope I can get a handle on it.
Sorry to hear that. µTune has a lot of functions, but we tried to make things as easy and comprehensive as possible.

I THINK this means in the example CV1 In is receiving a voltage corresponding to C.
Correct
Maybe the 0 next to it means in which octave, ie middle C?
This is a very common note notation for 12 note scales. C0, D0,.. are the lowest octave, the higher the number the higher the octave.
You can select from a few different notations, some of them more suited for scales with lengths other then 12.

And CV1 Out is outputting a G#? With maybe the 2 next to it signifying 2 octaves up?
Yes, reasons for this are numerous:
– Could be the output is transposed
– or maybe the output is not controlled by the quatizer, but by the midi interface. The input would then be used for something else. (See channel configuration in the manual)

I also don’t understand the unit’s functional meaning given to Transpose [disctinction from pitch shift] and Shift [modal change?]
Transpose is what you are probably used to. Just changing the pitch in steps. (in 12 TET that would be seminotes). Shift can be used to alter the root of the scale. In complete TET scales this does nothing, because the difference between all notes is the same. This feature was specifically requested by the MuffWiggler community btw.

aspects of the scale editor

Which ones?

and big chunks of the midi config manual, in which among other things both CV/Gate channels and midi channels are just referred to as channels though there is interplay between them.
Well yes there are ‘midi channels’ which is part of the midi specification. Basically there are 16 different midi channels devices can use to communicate on. [/quote]
An then there are µTune channels as explained at the beginning of the manual. each channel consisting of: gate in, cv in, gate out, cv out.
For each of the µTune channels, you can select the midi channels µTune uses to send and receive midi data.